Academy of Bosnia and Herzegovina serves to protect and advance the collective status of people stemming from Bosnia and Herzegovina living and working in the United States, through facilitation of cultural, educational, advocacy and other programs that strengthen their heritage and identity, and provide for their equal and vibrant participation in all segments of society.
In the long term, the Academy will seek to:
1. Identify issues of importance for the welfare of the Bosnian-Herzegovinian community in the United States; develop awareness, sense of responsibility and commitment to taking action in resolving them.
2. Foster support for Bosnia and Herzegovina, appreciation for its heritage, and a better understanding of its history, culture, values, achievements and challenges.
3. Enhance the quality of Bosnian-Herzegovinian-American life by working to ensure the continuity of Bosnian-Herzegovinian heritage and deepen the ties between Bosnian-Herzegovinian communities abroad and the native country.
4. Strengthen the basic principles of pluralism among Bosnian-Herzegovinian communities in the United States, as the best defense against discrimination, racial and ethnic intolerance, and other forms of bigotry.
5. Raise awareness about the processes of democratization in Bosnia-Herzegovina, and help develop the local community's role in Bosnia and Herzegovina's transition towards a stable democracy.
6. Develop partnerships and cooperation with other organizations representing interests of people stemming from Bosnia and Herzegovina living and working in the United States and jointly advocate at local and national levels.